Who doesn’t love avocado toast? This simple recipe can be made for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Pair it with roasted vegetables, a side of dairy, or a piece of fruit, and you have a complete, well-balanced meal. Avocados contribute vitamins C and E, while the eggs provide zinc, vitamin A and vitamin D (the egg yolk contributes the bulk of the vitamin D in this recipe, so don’t throw it out!).
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. skim milk
- 2 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- ½ of a medium-sized avocado
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup arugula
- In a small bowl, crack the eggs and mix together with milk. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into a fry pan and scramble the eggs over medium heat, until they reach a desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, toast the whole grain bread in a toaster oven.
- Smash the avocado on the two slices of toast, top with arugula and scrambled eggs.