Why Choose Casein?
Here are six facts about the benefit of Casein from the brand that first brought Micellar Casein to the market in a convenient format back in 2005 with Gold Standard 100% Casein.
- Casein makes up the majority of protein found in milk.
- Whereas whey is a fast digesting protein, casein is slower digesting than whey.
- Casein & Whey protein complement each other within the protein category.
- The digestion and absorption of casein can take up to 6 hours. This is because when casein reaches your stomach it forms a gel-like substance.
- Due to the longer prolonged release of amino acids, casein is recommended for extended time frames where an individual may be without food such as before going to bed at night or before prolonged periods of fasting.
- To support repair and recovery while you sleep, take 20-40g of casein before bed to provide muscles with a sustained source of amino acids over multiple hours.
- Research has found that consuming casein protein before bed increases lean muscle mass and strength in conduction with a resistance training programme.
1. Trommelen J., et al., 2016. Pre-sleep protein to improve skeletal muscle adaptive response to exercise training. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5188418/
2. Snijders et al., 2015. Protein Ingestion before Sleep Increases Muscle Mass and Strength Gains during Prolonged Resistance-Type Exercise Training in Healthy Young Men. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25926415