Losing Weight Boosts Vitamin D

Losing Weight Boosts Vitamin D Experts have noticed that overweight and obese women tend to have less than optimal levels of vitamin D circulating in their bloodstream. While getting more vitamin D from food sources can be difficult, and there can be seasonal roadblocks to synthesizing it through sunlight, a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggests that blood levels of vitamin D increase dramatically with weight loss.

Researchers had 439 overweight to obese women diet, exercise and diet or do nothing and serve as the control group. Those who lost 5% to 10% of their body weight through either diet or diet and exercise 10 to 20 pounds for these subjects realized a relatively small increase in circulating vitamin D. But those who lost 15% of their body weight experienced an increase nearly three times the levels recoded when they began the intervention.

True Strength Moment: Vitamin D plays a role in calcium absorption, bone growth and healing, cell growth, immunity and other important functions. Cold water fish is a good dietary source of this fat-soluble nutrient, and 10 minutes of exposure to summer sunshine is enough to trigger vitamin D production. When those options aren't practical or possible, the estimated daily requirement through supplementation is 400 IU.
Leave a Comment