20 Tweets Equals 1% Weight Loss?

20 Tweets Equals 1% Weight Loss? If one of your goals for the new year is weight loss, a study published in the journal Translational Behavioral Medicine offers some interesting insight into creating an effective support network. Researchers found that subjects who used the social network site Twitter.com lost an average of 0.5% of their body weight per 10 Tweets, which are posted comments up to 140 characters in length.

A total of 96 overweight or obese subjects participated in the 6-month diet intervention. All subjects watched two 15-minute podcasts each week for 3 months followed by two weekly 5-minute podcasts for the final 3 months. Half of these subjects used Twitter to support weight loss goals.

True Strength Moment: A total of 2,630 comments were posted during the half-year diet intervention. 75% of these posts were informational with the remaining 25% providing emotional support. Although both groups lost about 2.7% excess weight, the Twitter users were more successful, losing an average of 0.5% body weight per 10 Twitter comments. Follow @Team_Optimum on Twitter for a steady stream of tips, recent study findings and answers to your diet and training questions.
Leave a Comment