Stir fry is another easy way to get loads of nutrients all in the same meal. A serving of this hearty Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry is sure to satisfy. Broccoli is a good source of vitamin A, bell peppers provide vitamins C and E, and mushrooms and broccoli deliver zinc. If chicken is not your thing, switch it out for your favorite seafood or plant-based alternative. Serve this dish over brown rice for a serving of whole grains and to round out your meal.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, for sautéing, divided
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red, 2 green, and 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into slices
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 8 oz brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 gloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups brown rice, prepared, for serving
- In a large fry pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-to-medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until there is no pink inside or an internal temperature of 165 degrees is achieved.
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Next, add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the same pan.
- Add in the onion and bell peppers. Over medium heat, sauté until the vegetables become slightly tender, around 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the broccoli, mushrooms and garlic. Add in the water and allow the vegetables to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Place a lid over the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook for around 10 minutes until all of the vegetables are tender.
- Assemble the bowls with a bed of brown rice, prepared chicken and top with vegetable mix.