On a cold day, nothing beats a warm mug of soup. Even better, this easy recipe packs antioxidant vitamins A, C, E, as well as zinc into one delicious, nutritious dish. Chickpeas contribute zinc and protein, tomatoes and carrots deliver vitamin A, and bell peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C.
- 4 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of low-sodium diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 (15 oz) cans of low-sodium chickpeas, drained
- 1 (32 oz) container low-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Other seasonings (optional) – ½ tsp of each: cumin, ginger, chipotle chili pepper
- Optional toppings: cheese and avocado slices
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-to-medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until it becomes translucent.
- Next, add diced potatoes, carrots, celery, and bell pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables start to become slightly tender.
- Mix in the chopped garlic with the other vegetables.
- Next, add in the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Place a lid on the stockpot and allow this mixture to simmer for 30-40 minutes over low heat.
- After the mixture has simmered, check to make sure it is adequately seasoned. Adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Add in the chickpeas and allow to simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the kale until it just begins to wilt.
- Serve in bowls and top with a sprinkle of cheese or avocado slices.